The tell-tale signs you need to evolve in your career
Are you stuck in a rut? Do you need a new outlook on your career? Or do you simply not understand why you are being passed up for that promotion time and time again?
Here are 5 reasons why you might be missing out on improving your career and why you need to evolve.
- You’re complacent. You just sit back and do the same thing day in and day out without looking at how things can be done better. One of your biggest sayings is “We’ve always done it this way”.
- You always have to have it your way. It’s not about finding the best strategic way to do something, it’s your way or the highway.
- You aren’t honest with yourself and you don’t demonstrate self-awareness. You don’t understand how you think, feel, and react in various situations. This in turn means you aren’t able to monitor your reactions to situations and understand the bigger issues at play.
- You don’t want to make any improvements in your career. You haven’t up-skilled or tried to better yourself to get that promotion.
- You are constantly negative all the time. You don’t have a positive thing to think about your career or workplace.
If you recognise yourself in any of the above, then it’s probably time to start thinking about how you can make some positive changes. So where do you start?
- Change your viewpoint. Consider “how can we do this better” instead of “we’ve always done it this way. You’d be amazed how quickly things can change when you flip the script.
- Listen to others. Instead of demanding things be done your way, sit back and listen to what your co-workers have to say about things. Always listen and seek ideas from everyone in your company. You never know where the next best idea will come from.
- Ask your supervisor or co-workers for an honest review of your performance. Then take steps to honestly receive the feedback and make changes. Being self-aware brings tremendous insight and will allow you to make positive changes.
- Up-skill. Find a leadership program that will accelerate your development as a leader and give you the edge to get that promotion or pay rise.
- Change your attitude. This one isn’t easy, however a good place to start is by every time you think negatively, change it to a positive. Over time, the positive will outweigh the negative.
If you are ready for change and want to plan for your future, head to our Resources page and download the free Career-life Planning Tool.